Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sojourner Truth... Ain't I A Woman

So, one of my favorite intellectual speeches.... one of my favorite women of all time.. who with her words was able to question the norms of racism and sexism, is that of Sojourner Truth... where she delivered her speech known as 'Ain't I a Woman' at the Women's rights convention, in Akron Ohio, in 1851.

Now, let me just say that what is going on with the women nowaday????? I mean, seriously... who's taking the lead? I'm sick of hearing women, whether or not they're muslim, defer everything to the Man.... like he's the sole authority of the world.... I will clarify first and foremost, I am not a 'man hater' but the reality is that misogyny has in the past and till this day been perpetuated... by the Man... and how was the man successful?!?!?! by making the very people who are oppressed (women, and this tactic is used on other groups).... who confirm the authority of the Man, without having them feel ashamed of it. (check out Dubois speech on 'being ashame of oneself... if you're interested on more of this issue, however it is in reference to blacks)... but basically, women are the ones who perpetuate this form of oppression, sometimes intentionally, but in most cases unintentionally.
anyway... I'll probably comment so more on this in the future... i'll leave you with this... don't be ashamed of your being a woman... yes, modesty is part of faith, but Islam is completely EGALITARIAN in it's foundations! therefore, what are you ashamed of?? male supremacy isn't a constant fact of life... rather, the only ultimate truth of life is (yes i'm muslim so i'm taking the islamic quote) when God said 'I did not create humankind except in that they would worship me' and well you know in Islam, worship is based on intentionality.... and well... there can be many forms of worship... (other than the obligatory ones) that manifest in excelling in whatever field that you believe you can contribute greatest to.
i'll stop here... but for now, check out her (sojourner truth) speech... :D

-------
Ain't I a woman

"Well, children, where there is so much racket, there must be something out of kilter, I think between the Negroes of the South and the women of the North - all talking about rights - the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this talking about?"
Sojourner pointed to one of the ministers. "That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody helps me any best place. And ain't I a woman?"
Sojourner raised herself to her full height. "Look at me! Look at my arm." She bared her right arm and flexed her powerful muscles. "I have plowed, I have planted and I have gathered into barns. And no man could head me. And ain't I a woman?"
"I could work as much, and eat as much as man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne children and seen most of them sold into slavery, and when I cried out with a mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me. And ain't I a woman?"
The women in the audience began to cheer wildly.
She pointed to another minister. "He talks about this thing in the head. What's that they call it?"
"Intellect," whispered a woman nearby.
"That's it, honey. What's intellect got to do with women's rights or black folks' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half-measure full?"
"That little man in black there! He says women can't have as much rights as men. ‘Cause Christ wasn't a woman. She stood with outstretched arms and eyes of fire. "Where did your Christ come from?"
"Where did your Christ come from?", she thundered again. "From God and a Woman! Man had nothing to do with him!"
The entire church now roared with deafening applause.
"If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back and get it right-side up again. And now that they are asking to do it the men better let them."
---- Sojourner Truth (Ain't I a Woman)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not alone. Thank God.

Isn't it sad when women support chauvinist culture without even knowing it?